Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Teardown as of so far

The work space, sort of tight, but it's what I have

Sorry for the lack of update guys, I've been continuing to work on the 944, but having some photo uploading issues with the computer during the teardown. Anyway I'll let you know where I'm at. The clutch now is totally gone, but luckily with the help of a friend we were able to push it into the garage in order to do it. But as you know, one project always leads to another and once we got the car up on jacks, I realized that the transmission was totally covered in oil.

She's an oily tranny!
The question then became whether to rebuild it or put a new one in. Having this be the first car I have ever worked on, I'm leaning toward putting a different one in as rebuilding a tranny seems a little advanced for my skill set. There is one at the junkyard just north of town that seems to shift fairly smooth and be fairly dry for 100 bucks. I'll just have to spend a day tearing that one out! We will see. Anyway as you can see the transmission is now out and off to the motor and bell housing where the clutch lives.

2.5 liter motor stipped. Wiring harnesses off, radiator fan shroud removed. Air intake off, anti freeze drained and vacuum hoses removed. Ready to lift pending hoist.
Unfortunately, the oil pan gasket has seemed to be leaking pretty bad and from the forums that I read replacing it was pretty difficult as the whole steering section of the car would have to come out. Knowing that I wanted to do the motor mounts, which seemed to be vibrating the car quite a bit when I first purchased it I decided that it would be best to lift the motor out where access to the oil pan, clutch, rod bearings and such would be much easier. So thats where I'm at with it right now. I'll try and do some more step by step tutorials as I begin to put the car back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment